Academy Rules and Etiquette
New to Jiu-Jitsu? Please read the below rules and BJJ etiquette to ensure the safety of everyone (yourself included!) and maintain the harmonious atmosphere here at American Top Team St. Pete.
- For Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes – No live grappling for first 5 classes.
- Never step on the mat wearing any type of shoes/sneakers/sandals. Use sandals/sneakers when going from the mat to the bathroom.
- Always bow to the mat upon entering and leaving.
- Refer to your instructors by their title (ex: Master) or “sir/ma’am”
- Show courtesy to your fellow students and instructors – on and off the mats.
- Come to class with a positive attitude and try your best in every class!
- Be willing to help other students who may need it.
- Wear complete and approved school uniform (ex. GI with ATT patches) or appropriate uniform shirt (Red/Ultimate, Blue/Elite, White/Basic) in class.
- Practice good hygiene; Keep your body and uniform clean, toenail/fingernails trimmed and long hair pulled back or braided. Remove any jewelry prior to class.
- Do not attend class if you are sick or have a skin disease. Please see a doctor if necessary, before training again.
- If using the weight area/cardio machines: Please pick up and re-stack all weights and dumbbells. Please bring a towel to wipe off any excess sweat on benches or treadmills.
- If a problem arises with a fellow student, please do not attempt to resolve the issue by yourself, instead please bring the issue to your instructor’s attention so they may resolve any problem.
- Children not participating in class should be supervised at all times. They are not allowed to climb, run around, or play loudly while class is in progress.
- Do not demonstrate or teach outside the academy without your instructor’s prior approval.
- Please keep our bathrooms clean!